Keeping it green - hotel and golf course initiatives
We feel very privileged to be located in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and we are passionate about our role as custodians of this stunning countryside. Here are some of the ways in which we strive to conserve it...
Green Keeping Initiatives
Sustainable golf, working towards long-term ecological and environmental goals.
Key achievements and drivers:
- We have planted over 60,000 trees during the past 40 years.
- A pro-active woodland management system.
- We log fallen trees into piles to encourage wildlife.
- Our hedges are managed to encourage their use as nesting sites for the numerous birds in the area.
- We compost all our grass cuttings and leaves to be re-used on site.
- Pest and disease control are carried out within an IPM (integrated pest management) programme to minimise the use of fertilisers and chemicals into the environment.
- Regular ecological assessments are carried out via English Nature, STRI and the EGU.Â
- We work closely with the Environment Agency, Suffolk Wildlife Trust, Writtle and Otley Colleges, the PGA and European Seniors Tour to ensure best practice is maintained.
- A register is kept of any hazardous materials, and such materials are securely stored and usage is monitored.
- We have a sophisticated computerised system to make best use of water resources.
Energy & Waste Management
- We use wherever possible low energy lamps equating now to 60% of the hotel lighting or low voltage light fittings.
- The heating/lighting in our new bedrooms is only activated when a key card is placed in a designated slot.
- Most of our public areas, function rooms, toilets etc. are on movement detector sensors which will only activate lights once movement is detected.
- Our heating systems are on time clocks.
- Hotel guests are encouraged to re-use towels/linen each day to save on washing energy and detergent.
- Inverter driven heating systems are used throughout the Hotel as an alternative to more traditional heating systems.
- We use water savers in all flushing toilets.
- Our used fluorescent lamps are separated and go to a specialised disposal company.
- An in-line oil/chemical catchment tank has been fitted to the storm drain leading from the maintenance facility and car park.
- We use thermal covers on the swimming pool and spa to prevent heat loss when pool areas are closed.
- We use local companies and manufacturers for our produce and supplies.
- Warm air is heated by reclaimed heat from the pool.
- Low levels of chemicals are used in the pool.
- All of our kitchen oil is sent for recycling.
- Bottles are recycled via our own bottle bank.
- Re-use of envelopes and other paper for internal communication.
- Use of e-mail wherever possible to save on paper.
- We recycle our empty ink cartridges and toners.